Choosing the Right Preschool
for Your Child
Your child is developing into his own person. Choosing the right preschool is the first big decision you will make during his educational journey. Start the process early to be able to choose the program that best fits your child.
Evaluate the Programs Before Choosing the Right Preschool for Your child
Be sure to read online reviews and talk to other parents at the schools in your area. Once you have narrowed your choices, plan a conference with the director of the preschool. These are important topics to discuss:
- Teaching Philosophies. Make sure the teaching philosophy is best for your child. At Learning Zone we use a STEAM preschool curriculum.
- Security. In today’s world this is essential. Especially look into the drop off and pick up procedures.
- A Typical Day. Look at the balance between play and academics. A preschooler needs time to explore and make friends. Art and music are as important as the ABC’S.
- Observations. Don’t choose a school that won’t let you drop in to observe the activities. You need to feel comfortable that the preschool’s setting and curriculum are what it advertises.
Teachers are important to the success of the preschool. Check to see if teachers have a childhood education degree. Plan a 30-minute observation to see a teacher in action. These are things to look for:
- Praise. Specific praise is always better than general praise.
- Language development. Are there books readily available? After a teacher reads a story, does she allow time for the students to discuss and ask questions.
- Enjoyment. Check to see if the teacher seems to enjoy working with children. Is the atmosphere positive and encouraging?
The Learning Zone serves children in Nashville, Murfreesboro and throughout middle Tennessee. Check out our newest preschool in Smyrna, TN. We know you have many choices, but we feel our preschool education is one of the best.